10 Tips to help you fall asleep faster:
1. Put down your device – the blue light emitted by screens breaks down melatonin, the sleep hormone. No screens after 9 pm, this is when the body starts releasing melatonin. The content you are reading or listening to can also stimulate the brain, keeping you awake.
2. Have a hot shower – the core body temperature drops overnight. A hot shower increases blood flow to the skin, creating a more sleep-friendly environment.
3. Have a pot of relaxing herbal tea -try any combination of chamomile, lavender, lemon balm, passionflower leaf or skullcap. Place a heaped teaspoon or 1-2 teabags in a pot of boiling water, cover and allow too steep for 10mins. You can read more about the benefits of herbal tea here.
4. Listen to a meditation or mindfulness track – there are lots on YouTube – I like Jason Stephenson. There is no need to watch, just close your eyes, lie back and relax!
5. Try Diaphragmatic Breathing, it’s super relaxing. Check out this link for more information.
6. Progressive muscle relaxation – there are lots of different YouTube videos. Try a few and find one you like.
7. Read a book – this can help calm the mind. Make sure it’s not an e-book though. See point 1.
8. If you have thoughts and worries circling in your mind write them down – this helps clear your mind. Try regularly keeping a journal, this is a good way to dump any unwanted thoughts from your mind.
9. Make sure you are comfortable – if you are too hot or cold, remove or add some bedding. Fluff up your pillow, or try a different one. Use earplugs if noise is keeping you awake. Shut the curtains, or put a blanket over the window if any outside light keeps you awake.
10. Lavender oil – burn lavender oil burn or put a few drops on your pillow. Research suggests that lavender helps with sleep.
Good luck! I hope these tips to fall asleep faster help. xxx