Chicken Stock Recipe
A super simple chicken stock recipe. I used to think making chicken stock was way too bothersome and time-consuming.However, since buying a slow cooker I’ve had a complete about-face, and now try to make sure the freezer always has some homemade chicken stock in it.
I don’t really have a recipe, I just throw in whatever I feel like on the day.I’ve got a 5.5L slow cooker, so adjust the amounts depending on the size of yours.
- 3-4 chicken carcasses, preferably free-range and organic.You can use the carcass leftover from a roast chook.
- 1kg of chicken wings, preferably free-range and organic
- 2 onions, quartered, no need to peel
- 2 carrots, roughly chopped
- Couple of celery stalks, including leaves, roughly chopped
- 3-4 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon of whole black peppercorns
Extras I like to add, depending on if I have them and what I feel like
- Fresh parsley or coriander or thyme, leaves and stems – whatever is left in the fridge I throw in, or if some is growing in the garden, a big handful
- A couple of star anise
- Any sad pieces of ginger that need using up
- Leek or shallots, roughly chopped
- A couple of garlic cloves
- Dried shiitake mushrooms
- The leftover corn cob once the kernels have been cut off
- 1-2 lemongrass stalks, bruised and roughly chopped
I put all the ingredients in the slow cooker, cover with water and set to the low temperature.I leave to simmer for a minimum of 12hrs and a maximum of 24hrs.
Once it’s cooled a little I strain through a colander to get rid of the bones and any large pieces, then strain it again using a fine sieve to make sure that I haven’t missed any little bones.Don’t let it cool too much before straining as the stock becomes jelly-like at room temperature due to the gelatine and collagen in the bones.
I freeze the stock in all different sized container.If I’m making soup I’ll want at least 1L, but for some dishes, I might only want 1 cup.
Oh, and you don’t have to use a slow cooker, this recipe can be done on the stovetop, it just requires closer monitoring to make sure it’s not bubbling dry.If I was to use the stovetop I’d simmer the stock for 3-4hrs.
What’s your favourite chicken stock recipe?